Sunday, May 8, 2011

Pizza Lunchables

Unlike many who went through the public school system, I have fond memories of eating cafeteria pizza. This pizza was served in a rectangular slab with rubbery mozzarella cheese on it, usually at about room temperature. The crust was soft enough to roll up. It was the best pizza in the world.

They sound baffled as to why kids like it.

Pizza was a treat, served either once a week or once every two weeks, I'm not sure which. But the big prize was Mexican pizza. That was my favorite. It had spicy sausage, bright orange cheese of unknown origin, and a spicy pizza sauce. It was shaped like a hexagon, which to my young eyes made it look like there was more of it. My best lunch was a slice of this, a small bag of Doritos or Cheetos, and a cardboard carton of chocolate milk.

A rough estimation of a hexagonal slice of Mexican Pizza

But pizza could not be served every day, and on those days, I didn’t have to risk meat loaf. On those days, there were Pizza Lunchables. Oscar Meyer started the Lunchables brand in the late '80s, but Pizza Lunchables were not released until sometime in the '90s. While these were not as nice as the school pizza, they were still a yummy food item.

The Lunchables meal came in a plastic tub, with a compartment for each part of it. The pizza crusts and sauce were in the main compartment, which also held a candy item and a Capri Sun. Lunchables offers pepperoni pizza and cheese. Pepperoni only came with mozzarella, but cheese pizza comes with mozzarella and American or cheddar (something orange, at least). Since I've been a vegetarian since I was 10 years old, I usually had the cheese pizza Lunchables.

The meal is eaten by hand. You open the packet of paste and spread it on the pizza crust, then put as much or as little cheese on it as you want. Rationing is important; I usually ended up putting most of my paste on the first pizza, and the other two would not be as good.

In order to properly remember Lunchables, I had to experience it again myself, and so I bought an extra cheesy Pizza Lunchable from the store. It was almost as good as I remember it being, but I remember the pizzas being larger and having more sauce. More likely it’s just that I’m bigger.

While eating this pizza, I noticed that there was not enough sauce to go around, and the cheese lasted much longer than the sauce. I had about half a compartment of each left over after all my crusts were gone. The cheese does not taste nearly as good by itself as it does on the pizza.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find an Airhead blue raspberry candy in the bottom of the pizza compartment for dessert, and a Capri Sun under the tub. The Capri Sun was fruit punch, and it was delicious. I also managed to puncture it with no problem and no loss of juice, which was always an accomplishment. Pizza Lunchables are still widely available, and they taste just as good as they were in school.

10 comments:

  1. Pizza Lunchables is one of my younger daughter's favorites. I like how you discussed the different types of pizzas you ate while at school. I had a cousin who only wanted to eat pizzas because he thought he was a ninja turtle. My one comment, you want to consider breaking up the final paragraph: one paragraph talking about eating the pizza and another about the Airhead and Capri Sun. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good suggestion. I will do that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At my grade school pizza was available every Friday and every Monday (probably three day leftovers). I ate so much pizza as a kid, I don't know how I never ate a pizza lunchable. I like how you were very descriptive with the production process and consumption. I agree with Susan as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this entry. I used to eat lunchables (especially the pizza kind) like everyday when I was young. And I also remember the frustration that ensued when there never was enough sauce. At my school we used to trade them at lunch if someone got a kind you wanted that day. Luckily I read this entry right before I was about to go to the store. I think I'm going to buy one for the nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know you can buy a whole box of those cafeteria-style rectangular pizzas at GFS. I know because a former roommate of mine was addicted to them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is GFS? I want some pizzas. I'm serious, thank you

      Delete
    2. Hello Guess What l just ordered A Case from GFS Foods and l pick it up tomorrow. So Google GFS food in your Town .Have A Great day.

      Delete
  6. I had no idea! I gotta go to GFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you for posting this. I think about the Mexican Pizza often from my elementary school days, and I was sharing this craving with some of my (now adult) friends from elementary school, and they not only remembered the pizza but had cravings, too! I was trying to explain the Mexican pizza to a friend who didn't grow up in the US and your little picture really helped. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was the bes pizza ever. I remember myself and classmate owuld go around and ask each other if they wanted to sell their pizza for 50 cents or just give it away and unfortunantly everyone wanted their pizza this was over 29 years ago. I wish I can find that type of pizza again. LOL

    ReplyDelete