Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Cartoons of My Early Childhood

The '90s were a decade that produced some of the best cartoons that have yet been on TV, but also carried on some great cartoons from the '80s. Because I was born in 1985, I remember watching quite a few '80s cartoons in my early childhood. My cartoon history starts there, but because this is a blog mostly about the '90s, I only want to focus on cartoons that impacted me significantly, and not every cartoon I saw. Even though I had Liono underwear when I was a toddler and I know who Snarf is, the Thundercats cartoon ended in 1989, as did the franchise.

Explaining how I became aware of these '80s cartoons is not too difficult. I have a sister who is ten years older than I am. This means she was an '80s kid. I remember going garage sale hunting with her. She was looking for anything Care Bears related. I eventually found a talking Terminator toy. Hasta la vista, Cheer Bear.

I went to preschool and kindergarten at a place called Kinder Care. This was a place with kids as young as four and as old as 15 - not necessarily the best dynamic, as the older kids had a tendency to pick on the younger ones and teach them swear words - but this probably also played a role in my learning about some of these older cartoons.  In order to be there on time, or because my mom went to work very early, I would be watching cartoons at six in the morning, when G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero was on. I don't remember much of that.

Finally, I had the good fortune to have a next door neighbor with a great collection of Transformers and G.I. Joes, some of which were pretty old. I think the most prized Transformer he had was Galvatron, who transformed into a laser cannon.

Freud might have something to say about this...
I don't remember ever playing with Galvatron - probably because it was taken off the market in 1987 and he didn't want to risk breaking it. I ultimately liked Beast Wars better than Transformers, because I don't remember ever seeing the Transformers TV series. But it was lucky that he was my next door neighbor, because my parents would not buy me any toy that involved guns, whether it was Transformers, G.I. Joes, cap guns, or anything of the sort. I was "sheltered".from these horribly fun toys until I was at least eight, but I still played with them all the time.

But I digress. The beginning of my cartoon history was The New Adventures of Winnie The Pooh, and I must have watched it a lot, because the theme song is still etched into my brain and is the first thought in my head almost every morning. It first aired in 1988, when I was three, and I probably watched it at least until I was five.

The most significant of these '80s/'90s crossover cartoons is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which influenced me greatly. I had tons of the toys, I still own the movie on DVD and VHS (and it's still awesome),and we even had the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Comin' Out of Their Shells on cassette tape (which is not still cool). These wise-cracking, pizza-eating, party-loving turtle dudes were my heroes.

We also went as Turtles for more than one Halloween. I was always Raphael - he was my favorite because he was rude and had a temper, and had the coolest weapons - the sai. He was the one with the red mask.

Home-made costumes
Did you have a favorite Ninja Turtle?

9 comments:

  1. I really like the theme of the blog! It brings some memories... But I would like to illustrate one thing: you can attract more readership if you concentrate on one cartoon at the time. I think you would give us a lot of information about the different cartoon, which good, but too much of a good thing can be sickly sweet! Keep at it, just like I do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea. It would be a lot easier that way, too, and make my topics last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this post, but I felt like it was a little scattered. Maybe do one post about the 90's cartoons, and then an entirely separate post about your awareness of 80's pop culture (because of older siblings and whatnot). Maybe you could even go into how the two decades differ from each other, or the differences between people who grew up during one decade or the other. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude I'm diggin your blog. I enjoyed the TNMT movies more than the cartoons. The Undies were just too much man. Haha. The question is: Power Rangers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Tony. It seemed scattered to me, too. I do plan to focus on one show/cartoon at a time in future entries, but I wanted to provide an overview, as well as get some of those '80s cartoons out of the way. I probably won't talk about Thundercats again, for example. But TMNT had a longer influence and extended into the '90s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tino, I am definitely planning to talk about Power Rangers, probably for the next entry. I figured out exactly why it was so awesome.

    Remember the Green Ranger saga? I'll probably talk about that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you mean the White Ranger? Or is he the Fuscia Ranger now? xD

    Are you going to focus entirely on cartoons and other kids' shows, or will you be dealing with other sorts of '90s memorabilia as well?

    ReplyDelete
  8. There definitely was a White Ranger, but I think he was a little bit beyond my time. But I definitely remember the Green Ranger becoming my favorite. I also remember there being rumors of a Purple Ranger, but I don't think they ever materialized.

    I'm planning to deal with pretty much anything I remember that was a '90s phenomenon, so toys, TV shows, food products, cereal, music, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked this post and I can already tell that I'm going to enjoy this blog. I was hoping for some of he 90's nickelodeon cartoons like Rocko's Modern Life to be mentioned but overall, an interesting read and I cant wait for some more nostalgia inducing posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete