Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Child of the '90s

Welcome to Remembering The '90s, a blog dedicated to celebrating the greatest decade in human history. The '90s featured some of the best television, best popular music, and especially the best cartoons and toys.

It was a decade that saw internet use becoming widespread, but it was painfully slow. People still had patience. It was a decade where videogames were good, but they weren't so good that kids didn't play outside (but they could take their Gameboy just in case - it was durable). It was a decade where gas only cost a dollar a gallon. It was a decade before reality TV took over and turned television into a desert. MTV still played music and The Simpsons was still funny.

How do you know if you were a child of the '90s? I could treat this as a question of sociology, and talk about demographic cohorts and generations - Baby Boomers, Generation X, and Generation Y - but that wouldn't be fun. So instead, ask yourself these questions.

Did you play with Gak, NERF, or Pogs? Did you call things "rad" or "awesome"? Did you eat pizza Lunchables in school? Did you eat aliens for breakfast? Are you, or were you ever a Planeteer? Did you have a Bart Simpson t-shirt? Did you know where Carmen Sandiego was? Do you know who Rocksteady and Bebop were, or what Calvinball is?

If you know what the heck I'm talking about, you may be a child of the '90s.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Jarek... I like your post, but I'm not sure this template really works with your subject. Maybe try something that evokes "the '90s" a bit more? Just an idea. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good suggestion, and I may have to find a way to do that. The reason I chose this one is because I played outside a lot in the 90's, so I remember it as a sunny time. I'll have to think of something less specific to include.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job Jarek! I agree this layout reminds me of Easter very bright. Good use of images to reinforce your statements. I wanna hear some opinion man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback. I plan to use a lot more images and videos in my next entries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like he post. I think it was or may be a little difficult to read but when you said bee-bop and rocsteady I almost pissed my pants! Partly because I really have to use the restroom! And partly becuase I was born in tha 80's but I'm definitely a 90's kid. I may have had one of the best childhoods ever. Every game, every television show, every character was in my reach because my parents bought and exposed me to everything. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I'm glad the reference wasn't too obscure - I was thinking of using Krang instead, but decided would be better known.

    What specifically is hard to read about it? Is it the font, the background, or is the text too small, maybe?

    ReplyDelete